Channel Nine will host the 7th annual Gold Telethon, raising funds for Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick. With a goal of \$5.4 million, this initiative raises much needed funds for the care of more than 300,000 sick and critically-ill children every year.
Runtime: None minutes
The Gold Week Telethon - Sydney Children's Hospital - Netflix
Sydney Children's Hospital is an Australian children's hospital located in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, New South Wales. On 1 July 2010 it became part of the newly formed 'Sydney Children's Hospital Network (Randwick and Westmead) incorporating the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children'. The Sydney Children's Hospital is located approximately 6 kilometres from the Sydney Central Business District in the suburb of Randwick. Sydney Children’s Hospital is also a major teaching hospital and is a teaching facility for the University of New South Wales.
The Gold Week Telethon - History - Netflix
The Sydney Children's Hospital had its origins in 1852 with the formation of the Society for Destitute Children, which established the Asylum for Destitute Children with the first building opened on 21 March 1858 in Paddington. After an appeal for funds in 1870, the Catherine Hayes Hospital opened. The hospital's primary intention was to care for children that suffered from illness, poverty and famine. As the hospital grew the children's hospital became a wing of the larger general hospital. In 1915, during the First World War the hospital was converted by the NSW Government into a military hospital and then a repatriation hospital, and renamed the Fourth Australian Repatriation Hospital. In 1927 an association between the Coast Hospital and the Fourth Australian Repatriation Hospital at Randwick began. With the opening of the Concord Repatriation General Hospital in 1953, the hospital was renamed the Prince of Wales Hospital, with the attached children's hospital becoming known as the Prince of Wales Children's Hospital. In 1964 the Prince of Wales Children's Hospital was founded as an independent hospital by Professor John Beveridge, who had the goal of creating a hospital where caring for children was the main agenda. That same year the hospital became the teaching hospital for the University of New South Wales. In 1994 the hospital underwent a $46.5 million (AUD) redevelopment, greatly increasing the capabilities of the hospital. On Friday 12 June 1998, the Prince of Wales Children's Hospital officially became known as the Sydney Children's Hospital, when the then current New South Wales premier, Bob Carr and Dr. Andrew Refshauge officially opened the hospital at 11:00am. In 2003 the hospital opened a community child health facility on the Randwick campus that provides services for children with development disabilities, mental health disorders and other behavioral issues. In 2010 the hospital was transferred from the administration of the South-East Sydney Illawarra Area Health Service to the newly formed 'Sydney Children's Hospital Network (Randwick and Westmead) incorporating the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children'.